Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy Monday!

Good Morning Ladies! How is everyone? I took last week off to sort of "regroup?" I felt like someone or something had kinda "pulled the plug" on my energy and I just really needed to recharge. Still not full power yet but working on it...The last couple of months we have been going through an illness cycle at my house, and believe me, we go through cycles with the size of our family, the saying, " What comes around, goes around" carries an entire different meaning in the Hensley household. However, we are on the mend and I keep telling myself that it could be so much worse, so there you have it.
Let's get started:

Acts 14:1-7

Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude of the Jews and the Greeks believed. But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brethren. Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly to the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands. But the multitude of the city was provided:part sided with the Jews, and part with the apostles. And when a violent attempt was made by both the Gentiles and Jews, with their rulers, to abuse and stone them,they became aware of it and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lyaconia, and to the surrounding region. And they were preaching the gospel there.

Reflection:
How should we determine when to trust God to protect us supernaturally and when to run for our lives?

What causes us to doubt that this is equally God's provision? Look deep enough to define some of the miraculous components involved using our heads.

Have you ever read something in the Bible and thought,"Oh my goodness! Those words were written for me!" I just had one of those moments! In the last few weeks, through the illness in our house, I have looked to heaven, and thought (sometimes out loud) boldly, Lord what is going on? Through all of this turmoil, what are you trying to teach me?
Between Paul's tenacity and Barnabas's encouragement, niether of them lacked motivation. I have been unmotivated...have you gals been there? I have been reading my Bible, praying and doing all the motions as usual but I lacked one thing..."Motivation"...I looked up the definition of motiviation, and this is what I found,"To provide incentive, to move into action." I am sure that by the time Paul and Barnabas could see Iconium in the distance, the were motivated. They knew that a new challenge awaited them. Perhaps more than they expected. Though they met opposition they still chose to stay for a long time and spoke boldly, in reliance on the Lord, who testified to the message of His grace by granting that signs and wonders be performed through them.(Acts 14:3) But then as things took a turn for the worse. They learned that there was a plot to stone them. So they ran for their lives!!
I was suprised to find that they fled in the face of the plans set against them. Shouldn't they have stayed and trusted God to guard them from attack since they were doing His will and preaching His message? Couldn't the same power used to perform signs and miracles be used to stifle their enemies?
I think that they were smart! I don't believe that they were acting out of fear. I think that they were responding out of wisdom and quickly at that! Proverbs 22 says that, " A sensible person sees danger and takes cover, but the inexperienced keep going and are punished." They were responding to danger the way that Jesus did on several occasions. Christ could have called to the ground, to swallow up His enemies and destroy them. But He chose to use another method. Christ did deliver Paul and Barnabus from an evil attack alright! He just chose to use their heads and feet to do it! Jesus ordinarily used natural means of provision. When He and His disciples were hungry, they usually found something to eat. When they were thirsty they went to a well a drew water to drink. He could have supplied anything they wanted supernaturally,but He chose natural means whenever available. He responded the same way to impending danger. He used His feet or sometimes a boat, and He departed. Whether God uses natural means or supernatural means to deliver us from danger, both are divine provisions. God supplied healthy legs for Paul and Barnabas to flee. I thank God for His natural forms of provision.

Let's Pray:

Heavenly Father, we love You Lord. We praise You today for your natural provisions. We don't have to have a supernatural act from You to know that it is You! Thank You so much for loving us today, thank You for loving us everyday and giving us the confidence in Your Word that never changes. Lead, guide and direct us Father. Help us to glorify You in all that we do and not ourselves. All these things we ask in Jesus name. AMEN!!

Love you girlies! Praying for you all always!

IN HIM I REMAIN,
Shana

No comments:

Post a Comment